Bitwave Games, a video game developer and publisher specialising in retro entertainment and part of Embracer Freemode, announced today the next instalment of their shmup series, Toaplan Arcade Shoot ‘Em Up Collection Vol.2, will be launching on 24th August and this time “die, and the world dies with you!”.
A celebration of shmups and Toaplan’s remarkable contribution to the genre, Bitwave Games is approaching the halfway point of their plan of releasing 16 games across four volumes as they announce the lineup for volume two. Consistent in their commitment to authenticity, Bitwave Games has listened to the shoot ‘em up community to enhance the player experience.
Building on the strong partnership between Bitwave Games and Japanese developer Tatsujin, the new instalment builds on the popularity of volume one, as Toaplan Arcade Shoot ‘Em Up Collection Vol. 2 showcases the following games:
- Hellfire – Toaplan’s first side-scrolling shooter, Hellfire features stunning graphics and a rock-heavy soundtrack, so if you can’t handle the heat at least you’ll go down in headbanging style.
- Flying Shark – Ride through the skies as they burn in a rain of armor-piercing bullets and experience Toaplan’s arcade shooter Flying Shark (AKA Sky Shark).
- Slap Fight – Buckle up and fight computing power with the only power that counts: FIREPOWER! Toaplan’s 1986 vertical shooter Slap Fight (AKA Alcon) boasts gauge-based power-ups and strategic gameplay.
- Fire Shark – An evil powerful military force is about to take over not only a small country, but the whole world… so get ready for classic shoot-‘em-up action in Toaplan’s Fire Shark.
While each of these games are exemplary shmup titles that deserve to be shared with a new generation of gamers, a host of quality of life improvements have been thoughtfully added too. From minimal input lag and pixel perfect or full screen scaling, to quick save, practice mode and Steam Achievements, the games of Toaplan Arcade Shmup Vol. 2 have been designed to allow gamers to play in a variety of ways. Plus, new for volume 2 is Mirror Mode! Even more than that, other features include:
- Minimal Input Lag: Emulation, input processing, and rendering all complete on the same frame
- Online leaderboards for Single Credit, No Assist, and Assisted plays
- Instrument panels with extra gameplay information and artwork
- Rewind the game between 10-18 minutes, depending on the action
- Experience the game in Mirror Mode
- Assist Features such as auto-fire at multiple rates
- Very Easy Mode: Lower the difficulty to breeze through the adventure
- Rotate the gameplay in 90-degree increments
- Choose between Raw Input on Windows or Steam Input
- Hone your skills in the ultra-customizable practice mode
“The response we had to Toaplan Arcade Shoot ‘Em Up Collection Vol.1 was incredible, so we’ve been looking forward to sharing more about the next volume in the collection” said Niklas Istenes, CEO of Bitwave Games, “We listened to the community’s feedback and used it to bring back these iconic shooter titles as players wish, whether that’s with our accurate emulation or the help of practice and easy modes. We can’t wait to see players go back in time with these superb games.”
Toaplan Arcade Shoot ‘Em Up Collection Vol.2 will be available via Steam and GOG on 24th August, and the games that make Vol. 2 are individually available to wishlist on Steam today.
For more information on Bitwave Games, please visit: https://www.bitwavegames.com/