The futuristic fight for the fate of mankind begins in only a few weeks! Independent game studio WayForward is excited to announce that LUNARK, the pixel-art sci-fi cinematic platformer, is scheduled to release digitally on March 30, 2023.
Developer by Canari Games and rated E10+ by the ESRB, LUNARK will be available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox, and PC via Steam, priced at $19.99 ($17.99 for preorders/early adopters). A new behind-the-scenes video featurette focusing on the game’s origins, inspiration, and narrative can be seen at https://youtu.be/CHWFhGVtTcg.
Set in a distant future in which Earth’s moon has been transformed into the vessel for humanity’s survival, LUNARK is a modern take on the 2D cinematic platformer genre of the 1990s, exemplified by games such as Prince of Persia, Flashback, and Out of this World. As Leo, a courier with unique abilities and a mysterious past, players will run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot through pixel-art environments that come to life through detailed animation and dynamic rotoscoped cutscenes.
While exploring locations such as a dystopian megalopolis, sweltering crystal caves, and an alien forest, players will overcome traps, solve puzzles, earn upgrades, and battle enemy droids as they get caught up in a struggle for survival against the totalitarian LUNARK regime and its ruling AI, NOAH.
In addition to the aforementioned digital versions of LUNARK launching on March 30, a Mac version is coming soon to Steam as well, and physical versions for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 are in the works from Limited Run Games in both standard and collector’s editions; details on the contents and preorder window will be announced in the near future.
For more news on LUNARK, as well as information on other titles, please visit www.wayforward.com and www.canarigames.com, and follow @WayForward and @CanariGames on Twitter and Facebook.
- Experience a modern 2D cinematic platformer with precision gameplay, stunning animation, and rotoscoped cutscenes!
- Immerse yourself in a compelling sci-fi story of survival, revolution, and mystery
- Intuitive but versatile controls: Run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot your way to freedom!
- Explore glorious pixel-art environments, including mysterious alien ruins, a flying penitentiary, a high-tech megalopolis, and an alien forest
- Solve puzzles, overcome traps, and interact with a variety of characters
- Discover hidden upgrades to expand your health and weapon capabilities
- Yes, you can pet the dog (and cat)!