The futuristic fight for the fate of mankind begins in only a few weeks! Independent game studio WayForward is excited to announce that LUNARK, the pixel-art sci-fi cinematic platformer, is scheduled to release digitally on March 30, 2023.
Developer by Canari Games and rated E10+ by the ESRB, LUNARK will be available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox, and PC via Steam, priced at $19.99 ($17.99 for preorders/early adopters). A new behind-the-scenes video featurette focusing on the game’s origins, inspiration, and narrative can be seen at https://youtu.be/CHWFhGVtTcg.
Set in a distant future in which Earth’s moon has been transformed into the vessel for humanity’s survival, LUNARK is a modern take on the 2D cinematic platformer genre of the 1990s, exemplified by games such as Prince of Persia, Flashback, and Out of this World. As Leo, a courier with unique abilities and a mysterious past, players will run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot through pixel-art environments that come to life through detailed animation and dynamic rotoscoped cutscenes.
While exploring locations such as a dystopian megalopolis, sweltering crystal caves, and an alien forest, players will overcome traps, solve puzzles, earn upgrades, and battle enemy droids as they get caught up in a struggle for survival against the totalitarian LUNARK regime and its ruling AI, NOAH.
In addition to the aforementioned digital versions of LUNARK launching on March 30, a Mac version is coming soon to Steam as well, and physical versions for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 are in the works from Limited Run Games in both standard and collector’s editions; details on the contents and preorder window will be announced in the near future.
- Experience a modern 2D cinematic platformer with precision gameplay, stunning animation, and rotoscoped cutscenes!
- Immerse yourself in a compelling sci-fi story of survival, revolution, and mystery
- Intuitive but versatile controls: Run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot your way to freedom!
- Explore glorious pixel-art environments, including mysterious alien ruins, a flying penitentiary, a high-tech megalopolis, and an alien forest
- Solve puzzles, overcome traps, and interact with a variety of characters
- Discover hidden upgrades to expand your health and weapon capabilities
- Yes, you can pet the dog (and cat)!